Drawer Organizers-Easy and Affordable

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be great to write about a DIY project that I did for the kitchen to help organize my drawers, that was easy and affordable. I like doing DIY projects but haven’t done one in a long time without a lot of help from my husband, I am pretty handy as I grew up doing construction with my father. I have been wanting to do this project for awhile now since I saw it on Pinterest and thought it would be a great way to organize 2 of my drawers. Normally if you buy organizers from the store you are paying $10-$20 and they don’t always do the job, which is what I was dealing with in my kitchen. This project took me a 1 1/2 days to finish, my son did help me hold the boards but also started interrupting me for everything. I do think if you have a good time space without interruptions it could take less than a day.

Drawers

  • Eating Utensils (Silverware)
  • Cooking Utensils

Products Bought- $18

  • (10) .25” x 1.5” x 36” Boards
  • Wood Glue

Tools

  • Measuring tape
  • Square
  • Hand saw, Sturdy or Miter Saw (Preferred)
  • Wood Glue
  • Pen/Sharpie
  • Clamps
Silverware Drawer

Process to Create the Drawer inserts.

1. Take Everything out of the drawers and measure inside the drawers (both drawers were the same size). You will want the frame to sit snug in the drawer so it won’t slide.

2. Cut and glue the frame together ( I held my frames together with books). Wait till the glue is dried (about 30 minutes).

3. Measure what you will be placing in the drawers. Both length and width to create a layout.

4. Create a layout that works the best for what you got and want. I struggle with a little since I had some awkward space.

5. Mark on the frame were you will place the dividers making sure that it is square. Glue the dividers to the frame. After gluing small sections of the dividers wait for the glue to dry before adding another section of dividers.

6. Wait a couple hours after finishing to place in the drawers, so the glue is set and dried.

*I used a flimsy hand saw that made my cuts not so straight, so I did use miter saw to fix them. I also didn’t have a square for the first sections, so my pieces aren’t as square as I like but were not that far off.

Each organizer only took 5 boards, and I still have some pieces left over for another project. Even if the layout was a little frustrating it was still pretty easy and was very affordable.

My Drawers do not slide around the drawer, and less wasted space. I can see everything and it is more organized. I was able to put three organizers that wasn’t working in a goodwill bin. I am ready for the next project!

Young Country Mama

Posted by

I am a stay at home mom/homemaker with two little boys. I Like writing, decluttering, doing projects and so much more.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.